CARMELIZED SALMON WITH CHERRY SALSA
Makes 4 servings.
• 1½ pounds fresh or frozen salmon fillet with skin
• 3 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
• 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
• 1 ripe mango or papaya, seeded, peeled & chopped
• 1 cup frozen tart cherries, thawed, drained & halved*
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, basil or cilantro
• 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Thaw fish, if frozen. Stir together brown sugar, orange peel and pepper. Place fish, skin side down, in a shallow pan. Rub sugar mixture over fish. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 8 hours.
Remove fish from pan, draining off any juices. Place salmon, skin-side down, on gas grill over medium heat or on charcoal grill 4 to 6 inches from medium-hot coals. Grill for 20 to 25 minutes, or until fish flakes easily. Do not turn fish.
Meanwhile, toss together mango or papaya, cherries, mint, vinegar and red pepper. Spoon fruit salsa over warm fish. Serve immediately.
* ½ cup dried tart cherries can be substituted for frozen tart cherries.
Note: To bake salmon instead of grilling, spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Put salmon, skin-side down, in pan. Rub with sugar mixture. Cover with foil and refrigerate 2 to 8 hours. Bake, covered, in a preheated 350°F oven for 25 minutes. Remove cover and bake 5 to 10 minutes, or until fish flakes easily. Prepare fruit salsa as directed above. Spoon over warm fish. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts per Serving: 326 calories, 11 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 93 mg cholesterol, 87 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrates, 1.5 g fiber, 34.5 g protein.
Dietary Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1½ fruit.
Recipe courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute - www.cherrymkt.org/