CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
(Sup Cendawan Berkrim)
Favourite Dishes from the Tunku's Kitchen
by Y.T.M. Dato' Tunku Mukminah Tunku Mohd Jiwa
Butter 450 g
Plain (all-purpose) flour 150 g
White Chicken Stock 1.5 litres
Bay leaf 1
Butter 50 g
Button mushrooms (cendawan butang) 200 g, washed and coarsely chopped
Shitake mushrooms 200 g, washed and coarsely chopped
Double cream 1 litre
Salt to taste
Ground white pepper to taste
Bread crouton 2 Tbsp
To prepare the roux
• Melt butter in a large pot.
• Add flour and stir continuously for 5 minutes.
• Add white chicken stock and whip the mixture vigorously with a wire whip till slightly thickened and smooth.
• Add bay leaf and simmer for 1 hour.*
• Strain and set aside.
To prepare the mushroom soup
• Heat a pot over a low fire and saute butter.
• Add chopped button and shitake mushrooms. Saute until soft, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
• Pour mushrooms into the pot of strained soup and simmer for 20 minutes.
• Pour in the double cream slowly, while stirring gently
• Add salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish the soup with bread crouton.
* Chef's Note: The roux is simmered for an hour to remove the smell of the flour.