BORSCH, BORSCHT, etc.
I received the following recipe by email from Natalie in the Russian Federation.
"hot" beet soup - Borsch.
It is red Soup.
Borsch is the most popular soup of Russian cuisine. There are Moscow, Siberian, .... and other borschs that reflect national particularities and have their own zest.
• 300 g (12 oz) beef.
• 500 g (1 lb) pork with bones. (or chicken, (and) or mushroom stock)
• 500 g (1 lb) beet.
• 350 g ( 13 oz) potatoes.
• 100 g (4 oz) carrot.
• 20 - 30 g (1 oz) parsley roots
• 100 g (4 oz) onion.
• 50 g (2 oz) tomato paste.
• 30 g (1 1/2 - 2 oz) fat. (or sunflower oil, or Soya oil, or olive oil)
• 20 g (...1 oz) flour.
• 10 - 20 g (1/2 oz) sugar.
• 20 g 6% ( ... 1oz) vinegar.
• sour cream.
• Chopped green Celery, dill, parsley, coriander, green
onions, bay leaf, pepper, garlic cloves to taste.
1. Cook meat until done.
2. Grate carrot, chop parsley roots and onion.
3. Then blanch onion in oil until golden, after that add carrot, and parsley roots, then add tomato paste (or fresh tomatoes and paprika) to it and stew for 7 - 10 minutes. (use a frying pan)
4. Put cubed potatoes in broth, bring to boil. Cook 15 - 20 minutes.
5. Peeled and grated beet fry in oil (until golden).
6. Add to broth sugar and vinegar, salt to taste. ( If you like, add fried until golden flour).
7. Now add to broth all fried vegetables: onion, carrot, tomatoes, paprika, beet ... all! Cook several minutes.
8. Five to ten minutes before the BORSCH is cooked, add: Chopped green Celery, dill, parsley, coriander, green onions, bay leaf, pepper, garlic cloves to taste.
Serve with meat and sour cream.
As for me, I never use for this soup - fat ( I use oil).
I never use flour!
I do not like beef and pork ( especially with bones). (I use chicken!!!).
I use vinegar to taste.
Vinegar - very important for this soup! (Add it after potatoes is boiled.
And before you add beet to broth.
Soup will be beautiful: red with a lot greenery.
(10-15 grams =1/2 oz)