CREAMIEST ASPARAGUS SOUP
Weight Watchers All Time Favorites
Hands-On Prep: 10 Min
Cook: 40 Min
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 3 scallions, sliced
• 1 large all-purpose potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
• 1 (32-ounce) carton reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
• 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
• 6 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
1. Heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan set over medium heat. Add the scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the potato and thyme; cook, stirring frequently, about 1 minute. Stir in the broth, asparagus, and lemon zest; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in the half-and-half, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
2. Remove the saucepan from the heat; let the mixture cool about 5 minutes. Transfer, in batches if necessary, to a blender and puree. Return the soup to the saucepan; cook over low heat until heated through, about 3 minutes. Ladle the soup into 6 bowls and swirl 1 tablespoon of sour cream into each serving.
Try It: Turn this hot soup into a delicious chilled one. Follow the directions in step 2 for pureeing the soup, then refrigerate until well chilled.Top each serving with the sour cream and sprinkle with a little chopped fresh thyme, scallions, or chives.
Per Serving (1 cup): 118 Cal, 2 g Fat, 0 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 0 mg Chol, 559 mg Sod, 19 g Carb, 2 g Fib, 6 g Prot, 96 mg Calc.
POINTS value: 2.