Recipe Videos; Food & Beverage Videos; Festival & Contest Videos; etc.

  Home   ·   Food Articles   ·   Food Trivia & Facts   ·   Today in Food History   ·   Recipes   ·   Cooking Tips   ·   FOOD VIDEOS   ·   Food Quotes   ·   Who's Who   ·   Food Trivia Quizzes   ·   Crosswords   ·   Food Poems   ·   Cookbooks   ·   Food Posters   ·   Recipe Contests   ·   Cooking Schools   ·   Gourmet Tours   ·   Food Festivals  



You are here: > Home



From Amateur & Basic Cooking Classes to Professional Chef Training & Degrees -  Associates, Bachelors & Masters - More than 1,000 schools & classes listed for all 50 States, Online and Worldwide




MARY HONDROS: Unless you have been living under a rock, you have probably heard the latest news about transfats. This type of fat happens when you take a vegetable oil and you partially hydrogenate it. So you change the structure from liquid to solid by changing the chemical structure of the fat. What happens is that this type of fat gets in the body and it acts as--to raise your LDL or your bad cholesterol in your body.
 it is a very unhealthy type of fat. Transfats are typically found in most baked and processed goods like baked chips or regular chips, baked snacks, donuts, anything that is preprocessed or prepackaged. About 80% of transfat are found in prepackaged foods and the other 20% actually occur naturally in meat and milk products. So, the key to making sure that you are not getting too much transfat in your diet includes always checking food labels. Now that food labels are required to have transfat on them, you'll usually see a product listed as either transfat free of if the food has transfat and then it will be listed on the back under total fat. So, some tips on making sure you are not getting a transfat in your diet include: number one, read your food labels because transfat is required to be listed.
Keep in mind that if a food has less than half a gram of transfat, it can be listed as transfat free. This means that you can still be getting transfat from foods that you think are transfat free if you are eating more of the serving size that you need to be. About five grams a day is enough to cause you harm. Secondly, limit the amount of processed foods that you eat.
The fresher you eat your food the less exposure you are going to get to transfats. Thirdly, remember to reduce your meat and milk intake because those actually have naturally occurring transfats in them, so keep your serving sizes smaller and limit it to three servings a day. And lastly, remember that not all transfats are going to be listed on your labels, so stick to the serving size of your foods. And those are four tips on keeping transfats out of your diet.



   Healthy Food Choices page 5    ·    Low Carbs    ·    Low Calories    ·    Trans Fats    ·    Snacks for Toddlers    ·    Choices for Toddlers    ·    Choices for Teens    ·    Choices for a Newborn    ·    Choices for a 8- to 12-Month-Old    ·    Choices for a 4- to 7-Month-Old    ·    Choices for a 1- to 2-Year-Old    ·    Babies With Diarrhea    ·    Superfoods    ·    Organic Vegetables    ·    Organic Greens    ·    Herbal Supplements    ·    Vitamin E   

  Home   ·   About Us & Contact Us   ·   Magazines   ·   Gardening   ·   Kitchen Basics   ·   Food Links  

Please feel free to link to any pages of from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail:
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2015 James T. Ehler and unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.