QUICK FRENCH ONION SOUP
EatingWell Serves Two by Jim Romanoff
Bring the allium family—onions, leeks, garlic—together in this simple and heartier version of French onion soup. If you've always found that traditional melted cheese topping too intimidating to try at home you'll find this recipe user-friendly; just top toasted bread with cheese and pour the soup over to melt it. Including chickpeas makes it filling enough for main course.
Makes 2 Servings, 1 1/2 Cups Each.
Total: 30 minutes
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 small sweet onion, sliced
• 1 leek, white and light green parts only, chopped
• 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
• 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
• 1 tablespoon sherry
• Freshly ground pepper to taste
• 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
• 1 8-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives or scallion greens
• 2 slices whole-wheat country bread, toasted
• 1/3 cup shredded Gruyere or fontina cheese
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, stir to coat and cover. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft and starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add leek, garlic and thyme and cook, uncovered, stirring often, until the leek begins to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Add sherry and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth and chickpeas; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in chives (or scallion greens).
3. Place bread in the bottom of 2 bowls; top with cheese. Ladle the soup over the bread and cheese and serve immediately.
To Make Ahead: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per Serving: 484 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrate; 19g protein; 9 g fiber; 608 mg sodium; 504 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value). Calcium (30% dv). Vitamin A (20% dv), Magnesium (18% dv).