POACHED COD & POTATOES IN TOMATO BROTH
See also article: Cod, British Gold
• 2 (14.5 oz) cans of chicken broth
• 2 (8 oz.) cans Hunts tomato sauce
• 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
• 5 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 bay leaves
• Half teaspoon died thyme
• Half teaspoon dried oregano
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1½ lbs potatoes, cut into chunks
• 1½ lbs cod, at least an inch thick, cut into 3-4 inch pieces
• Fresh basil, chopped, to taste
• Fresh parsley, chopped, to taste
Combine the broth, tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper in a large 12-14 inch pot or skillet with a lid.
Bring to a boil and whisk to blend the ingredients.
Add the potatoes, cover, return to a boil and then reduce to a simmer until the potatoes are almost done.
Uncover during part of the cooking to reduce and intensify the liquid.
Add the fish, cover, and adjust the heat to a very gentle simmer. The poaching liquid should be between 160-185 degrees.
Cook until the fish reaches an internal temperature of 140 degrees.
Add the fresh basil and parsley when finished and serve.