CULINARY TRIVIA QUIZ 426
1) Americans spend what % of their after tax income on groceries?
How about in Japan, Germany and India?
• a) 6%
• b) 10%
• c) 16%
• d) 17%
• e) 25%
• f) 50%
2) Thyme, sage, betony, horehound, rosemary, hyssop, lavender, and savory are all members of what plant family?
3) Marshmallows were originally made from a plant, the marsh mallow.
Which of the following plants are in this same Mallow family?
• a) Hollyhock
• b) Cotton
• c) Okra
• d) Rose of Sharon
4) Can you name a vegetable that has 2 to 4 times as much vitamin C as Oranges?
5) Which specific part of chili peppers are the hottest?
6-A) Why is salt used to preserve food such as salt fish, corned beef, etc.?
6-B) What human endeavor was made possible in part by salt fish?
7) What is Manchego and what connection does it have to Don Quixote?
8) What fruit is the design motif known as 'Paisley' based on?
9) The leading producer of Maple Syrup is:
• a) Quebec
• b) Vermont
• c) Minnesota
• d) New York
• c) Ontario
10) What was created by Auguste Escoffier in 1897, and supposedly named by Cesar Ritz of the Savoy (or his wife Marie) in honor of Helen Porter Mitchell, an Australian native.