CULINARY TRIVIA QUIZ 421
1) What are 'Alaska Strawberries'?
• a) potatoes
• b) pinecones
• c) dried beans
• d) strawberry shaped gold nuggets
• e) globs of oil in the water
2) How many tons of yogurt do American eat each year?
3) The fruit from this tree is called 'monkey bread' and is eaten as is or used to make a drink, its flesh is dried and ground into flour, and the leaves are dried and crushed for flavoring. Even the pulp of the tree is sometimes eaten.
What is the name of this tree?
4) According to legend, Rubus idaeus were originally white. The nymph Ida pricked her finger while picking them for the crying infant Jupiter, and they have since been tinged red with her blood. What is the common name of Rubus idaeus?
• a) raspberry
• b) pomegranate
• c) rose
• d) strawberry
• e) apple
5) When and where was the first Krispy Kreme doughnut sold?
6) What does the 'XX' of Dos Equis Mexican beer signify?
7) What is the name of the yeast-raised dinner roll created accidentally by the baker at a Boston Hotel in the 1870s?
8) The ancient Greeks believed that this vegetable induced sleep, so they served it at the end of the meal. The Romans continued the custom. However, the dictatorial Emperor Domitian (81-96 AD) served it at the beginning of his feasts, so he could torture his guests by forcing them to stay awake in the presence of the Emperor.
What is this common vegetable?
9) How much blood must flow through a cow's udder in order to produce 50 pounds of milk?
10) What were the first vending machines used for and where were they used?