FOOD TRIVIA QUIZ #407
1) According to the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) what percentage of the total U.S. food production do Americans waste each year?
2) Who was the first Athlete to appear on a Wheaties cereal package? What year?
a) Duke Snyder
b) Lou Gehrig
c) Dizzy Dean
d) Jackie Robinson
e) Bob Feller
3) There are more than 20,000 varieties of orchid.
What is one of the few edible products obtained from a species of orchid?
4) Most Americans are familiar with 'Uncle Ben's Rice.'
Who was Uncle Ben?
a) A fictional character from a novel.
b) The invention of an advertising agency.
c) A Texas rice grower.
d) The owner and president of a rice production company.
e) A South Carolina rice broker.
5) They are picked by hand and immediately dipped in boiling water. They are then left heating in the sun during the day, and wrapped to sweat at night for up to 20 days. They are then air dried for up to 6 months, while also allowing them to ferment. They are then crushed and treated with water and alcohol.
What the heck are they?
6) How many varieties of tomato are there?
7) What is the most popular beverage in the world?
8) In the 18th and 19th century this was a generic term used for various sauces whose only common ingredient was vinegar.
9) The zest of this pear shaped, wrinkled green Southeast Asian fruit is used in cooking, as are the unusually formed leaves. The leaves have a unique double shape that looks like two leaves joined end to end.
Name this fruit.
10) The first Dunkin Donuts and the first Howard Johnson's were both in what city?
a) New York City
b) Quincy, Massachusetts
c) Detroit, Michigan
d) Hartford, Connecticut
e) Topeka, Kansas