CREAMY CARROT SOUP WITH TOASTED CUMIN AND CORIANDER
The distinct flavors of cumin and coriander are perfect complements to this delicious spring soup. Top with a dollop of yogurt and cilantro – the leaves of the coriander plant.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Makes 6 (1-cup) servings.
• 2 teaspoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Coriander Seed
• 2 teaspoons McCormick® Cumin Seed
• 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, sliced
• 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Ginger
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
• 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced (3 cups)
• 1 container (8 ounces) plain yogurt
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add coriander and cumin seeds. Cook and stir about 2 minutes or until fragrant. Immediately pour out of hot pan to avoid over-toasting. Finely crush seeds using a small food processor, a clean coffee grinder, a rolling pin or mortar and pestle.
2. Heat oil in large saucepan on medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 6 minutes or until tender. Add 1 tablespoon of toasted seeds, ginger and salt; cook and stir 1 minute. Add broth and carrots; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 25 minutes or until carrots are very tender. Spoon 1/2 of the carrot mixture into food processor or blender; cover. With center part of cover removed to let steam escape, process until smooth. Repeat with remaining carrot mixture. Reheat soup, if necessary.
3. Mix all Yogurt Topping ingredients in small bowl. Stir in remaining toasted seeds. Spoon soup into serving bowls. Top with yogurt mixture.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
About 117 Calories, Fat 5g, Protein 4g, Carbohydrates 14g, Cholesterol 6mg, Sodium 865mg, Fiber 3g
Copyright © 2006 McCormick & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.