FOOD TRIVIA QUIZ #405 ANSWERS
1) (c) 25%. According to studies by the USDA, The amount of alcohol remaining in a cooked dish is:
Boiling liquid, remove from heat - 85%
Baked or simmered for 15 minutes - 40%
Baked or simmered for 30 minutes - 35%
Baked or simmered for 1 hour - 25%
Baked or simmered for 1.5 hour - 20%
Baked or simmered for 2 hours - 10%
Baked or simmered for 2.5 hours - 5%
More Alcohol Trivia
2) Allspice was used by the Mayans as an embalming agent.
More Allspice Trivia
3) The most dangerous sources of virulent bacteria, including E. coli, Salmonella, Staphylococcus and others, is the typical kitchen sponge and 'dish cloths' in American homes. They provide a source of moisture, and a ready food supply in the form of food particles, and an easy surface with which the bacteria can cling to. They can easily be disinfected however, by placing in a microwave oven for 60 seconds.
4) In 1952, Mr. Potato Head was born, and was also the first toy to be advertised on television.
More Food Advertising Trivia
5) The world record for watermelon seed spitting is held by Jack Dietz of Chicago, who launched a seed a distance of 66 feet 11 inches in March 1989.
More Watermelon Trivia
6) Oat flour is used in peanut butter, margarine and chocolate because it retards rancidity. It is used in ice cream and other dairy products as a fat stabilizer. So have some chocolate peanut butter ice cream and stay healthy!
7) (b) Cumin.
More Cumin Trivia
8) If you boil an egg while singing all five verses and chorus of the hymn, 'Onward Christian Soldiers.' it will be cooked perfectly when you come to Amen. (Letter to the Editor, London's 'Daily Telegraph')
If any subscribers test this method, please email me with the results and I will publish them on the website and in the newsletter.
More Egg Trivia
9) Banana cream pie was the favorite dessert. Rice pudding was the least liked.
More Dessert Trivia
10) The French fries sold at McDonald's are peeled, sliced and partially cooked at factories in Idaho.
More McDonald’s Trivia