FOOD TRIVIA QUIZ # 318 ANSWERS
2) Regiano Parmesan cheese and Canadian salmon.
More Astronaut Trivia
3) a) Catfish is the largest 'crop', followed by crawfish and rainbow trout.
More Aquaculture Trivia
4) They recorded that their supplies were dwindling "especially our beere."
More Beer Trivia
5) Calzone means 'trousers' in Italian, but in culinary parlance it refers to what is basically a 'pizza turnover', and is a specialty of Naples. Like pizza, a calzone can be made small, as for appetizers, or as large as meal for several people. The fillings are the same as used for pizzas
More Pizza Trivia
7) During the Middle Ages, gooseneck barnacles were thought to be developing geese, and when they reached a certain size they would fall to the water and become full grown geese. Barnacle geese breed in the summer north of the Artic Circle, and spend their winters on the northern European coasts, seeming to appear from nowhere, hence the myth. Since these geese (the barnacle goose and brant goose) came from shellfish, they were considered to be fish and could be eaten on days that meat was forbidden. I wonder if this myth was really believed, or if it was just an excuse so people could sneak a bit of meat on fasting days?
More Goose Trivia
8) Grapefruit juice can have a major effect on the potency of various medications, and can even cause an overdose when taking prescribed doses. Grapefruit juice decreases the production of a certain enzyme in the intestines that is involved in the metabolizing of about 1/3 of all drugs. Drinking grapefruit juice can increase the concentration of many drugs in the bloodstream to 3 or 4 times the normal concentration.
More Grapefruit Trivia
9) Halibut is a the largest flatfish, with large fish frequently over 200 pounds, and some even reaching in excess of 600 pounds and a length of 12 feet. They have a life span of 30 years or more. There are both Atlantic and Pacific species of halibut, with the Pacific species the smaller of the two. Halibut are lean, white, firm fleshed fish with a surprisingly delicate flavor.
More Halibut Trivia
10) Most of the calcium in milk is not bound up in the fat globules that are removed when 'skimming' the milk, but rather in the water content of the milk. Removing the part of the milk (the milk fat) with a lower percentage of calcium, increases the relative percentage of calcium in the remaining milk.
More Milk Trivia