SPINACH AND POTATO SOUP
Fix-It And Enjoy-It! Healthy Cookbook
Phyllis Pellman Good
Tip: Try Swiss chard, collards, or kale instead of spinach. If using one of those greens, add in Step 4.
Recipe: Jane S. Lippincott, Wynnewood, PA
Makes 9 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 45-50 minutes
• 2 ribs celery, chopped
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 6 cups chopped fresh spinach
• 2 Tbsp. olive oil
• 4 potatoes, unpeeled and sliced 1/4" thick
• 32 ozs. low-fat, low-sodium chicken, or vegetable, stock, or less, depending upon how thick you like your soup
• 1 tsp. mustard seeds
• 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
• pepper to taste
• chopped chives for garnish
1. Chop celery, onion, garlic, and spinach first so they're ready. Set aside, keeping vegetables separate from each other.
2. In large stockpot heat olive oil on low or medium. Add onions. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook just until slightly softened.
4. Add celery, sliced potatoes, stock, and mustard seeds. Cover and simmer 25-30 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
5. Use a potato masher to mash the mixture up a bit.
6. Add chopped spinach and vinegar. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes more.
7. Serve with pepper and chives sprinkled on top of individual servings.
Calories 145, Protein 7g, Carbohydrates 21g, Total Fat 4g, Saturated Fat 1g, Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 137mg. Fiber 4.5g