SEARED SCALLOPS, CARROT FRITTERS AND A YOGHURT DRESSING
'bills open kitchen' by Bill Granger
• 12 medium-sized scallops, intestinal tract removed
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• sea salt
• freshly ground black pepper
• carrot fritters (below)
• yoghurt dressing (below)
Place the scallops in a bowl, add the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat and cook the scallops for 1 minute each side.
Place 3 carrot fritters on a plate, top with the watercress and scallops and drizzle with the yoghurt dressing. Season with pepper.
· 60 g (1/2 cup) plain (all-purpose) flour
· 125 ml (1/2 cup) soda water
· 1 egg, lightly beaten
· 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
· 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
· 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
· 1 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
· 1 teaspoon sea salt
· 1 small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
· 235 g (1 1/2 cups) grated carrot
· 8 spring onions (scallions), finely sliced
· 25 g (1/2 cup) chopped coriander (cilantro)
· 60 ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
Preheat the oven to 160°C (315°F).
Place the flour, soda water, egg, cumin, coriander, turmeric, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix well. Add the chilli, carrot, spring onion and coriander and stir to combine.
Heat a frying pan on a medium to high heat, add the oil and heat until hot. Cooking in batches, add 2 tablespoons of batter per fritter and cook for 2 minutes each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Cook the remaining fritter batter, adding extra oil if necessary. Place the fritters on an ovenproof plate lined with paper towels and keep warm in the oven while you cook the scallops.
· 125 g (1/2 cup) plain yoghurt
· 1 tablespoon lime juice
· sea salt
· freshly ground black pepper
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
Place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.