SCALLOP AND VEGETABLE PACKETS
The Thin Commandments: The Ten No-Fail Strategies for Permanent Weight Loss by Stephen Gullo
This is a great dish for busy people. In short order the fish and veggies are on the table -- with no stirring and no pots to wash! Make this for the family or just for yourself.
Prep: 12 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings (see below for Recipe for One)
• 2 packed cups baby spinach
• 2 cups sliced yellow summer squash
• 1 pound sea scallops, rinsed and patted dry, tough tendon at sides removed
• 20 slender asparagus spears, tough ends snapped off, cut in 2-inch lengths (about 2 cups)
• 4 slices sweet onion, rings separated
• 4 slices tomato
• 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
• 4 teaspoons vermouth or dry white wine
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Set out two rimmed baking sheets.
Tear off four 20-inch-long sheets of heavy-duty foil. Fold each piece of foil crosswise like a book, then open up. Coat one half of each sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
In the center of each sprayed half, arrange 1/4 cup spinach, 1/2 cup squash, 1/4 (4 ounces) of the scallops, 1/2 cup asparagus, 1 slice onion, and 1 slice tomato. Sprinkle with a heaping tablespoon parsley. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon vermouth or wine, and sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
Fold the other side of the foil over the food. Crimp the edges tightly to seal. Place the packets on the baking sheets.
Bake until the scallops are opaque in the thickest part and the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Transfer the contents of each packet to a heated dinner plate and serve right away.
Per serving: 140 calories, 1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 22 g protein, 10 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 35 mg cholesterol, 510 mg sodium
DINING FOR ONE
• 1/2 cup spinach
• 1/2 cup sliced yellow squash
• 4 ounce sea scallops
• 5 slender asparagus spears, tough ends snapped off, cut in 2-inch lengths
• 1 slice sweet onion, rings separated
• 1 slice tomato
• 1 heaping tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
• 1 teaspoon vermouth or dry white wine
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• Pinch freshly ground black pepper
Prepare as previously directed. Bake until the scallops are opaque in the thickest part and the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.