MAY 9 - Today in Food History
• National Butterscotch Brownie Day (Brownie Recipes)
• National Moscato Day (Gallo Family Vineyards)
• Food Allergy Awareness Week (May 8-14, 2016)
• National Emu Week (May 7-15, 2016) [American Emu Association] (Emu Recipes -- Emu Trivia)
• World Cocktail Week: May 6-13 (See May 13, 1806)
• National Women’s Health Week (May 8-14, 2016) begins on Mother’s Day
• UK: British Sandwich Week (May 8-15, 2016) The British Sandwich Association (Sandwich Recipes)
• UK: National Doughnut Week (May 7-14, 2016) participating bakers across the UK will be helping to raise money for The Children's Trust by donating money for every doughnut they sell.
On this day in:
1785 The beer-pump handle was patented by Joseph Bramah. (Beer Trivia and Facts)
1845 Carl Gustaf Patrik de Laval was born. A Swedish scientist and inventor. Among his inventions was the centrifugal cream separator and a vacuum milking machine.
1868 The town site of Reno, Nevada (named after Civil War General Jesse Reno) was officially established.
(Nevada Food Trivia and Facts)
1914 C. W. Post (Charles William) died. He founded the Postum Cereal Co. in 1895 (renamed General Foods Corp. in 1922) to manufacture Postum cereal beverage; 1897 Grape Nuts, 1904 Post Toasties, originally called Elijah's Mana. (Breakfast Cereal Trivia & Facts)
1914 President Woodrow Wilson issued a proclamation declaring the first national Mother's Day. The previous day, May 8, Congress designated the 2nd Sunday in May as Mother's Day and requested a proclamation.
1920 Frank Perdue president of Perdue Farms was born (died March 31, 2005). He was the son of the company's founder Arthur Perdue. Perdue is the 3rd largest poultry company in the U.S.
1942 'Tangerine' by Jimmy Dorsey was #1 on the music charts.
1949 The first self-service coin operated laundry (laundrette) in Britain opened in Queensway, London.
1992 A record brown trout weighed over 40 pounds and was caught in Arkansas. (Trout Trivia & Facts)
2014 The movie 'Chef' was released in the U.S. A chef loses his restaurant job and starts up a food truck
2016 President Obama signed the National Bison Legacy Act, declaring the North American Bison the official National Mammal of the United States. (Bison Trivia)