HEART HEALTHY CLASSIC MACARONI AND CHEESE
Low fat cheese and skim milk help to make this favorite dish heart-healthy.
Makes 8 servings
2 cups macaroni
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
1 medium egg, beaten
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 1/4 cups sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz),
finely shredded, low fat
nonstick cooking oil spray
1. Cook macaroni according to directions. (Do not add salt to the cooking water.) Drain and set aside.
2. Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking oil spray.
3. Preheat oven to 350° F.
4. Lightly spray saucepan with nonstick cooking oil spray.
5. Add onions to saucepan and sauté for about 3 minutes.
6. In another bowl, combine macaroni, onions, and the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
7. Transfer mixture into casserole dish.
8. Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Fat 4 g
Saturated fat 2 g
Cholesterol 34 mg
Sodium 120 mg
National Institutes of Health - www.nih.gov/
Special thanks to Goulda A. Downer, Ph.D., R.D., for sharing her collection of African American recipes, and the General Clinical Research Center in the Irving Center for Clinical Research, Columbia University, New York, for testing the recipes.