Foodreference.com September 8, 2001 Food Safety 2 Crossword
NOTE: PRINT page to work on puzzle. A link to the solution is below.
CLICK HERE to return to Previous Page
1. A chemical compound that is added to protect against decay or decomposition
7. A food safety approach that focuses on preventative controls rather than monitoring and correction procedures
8. Used to inhibit microbial growth for thousands of years, was especially important before refrigeration
9. Primitive chlorophyll-containing mainly aquatic eukaryotic organisms lacking true stems and roots and leaves
13. Parasitic plants lacking chlorophyll and leaves and true stems and roots and reproducing by spores
14. Easily spread
15. Trichinella spiralis host
16. Bacteria living in the absence of free oxygen
17. A neurotoxin found in puffer fish
19. Found in improperly handled, undercooked beer, especially ground beef and unpasteurized milk
20. The most dangerous bacterial breeding ground in the typical home
2. Normally present in intestinal tract of humans and other animals; sometimes pathogenic
3. Parasitic protozoa, they can cause 'travellers sickness'
4. Food additive used as nutrient supplement; can also be used to purify water and as a disinfectant (VERY carefully).
5. Frequently implicated in Salmonella food poisoning cases
6. Any of various fungi that often cause disintegration of organic matter
7. Salmonella enteritidis is a danger associated with this sauce
10. Usually heated to 161 F (72 C) for 15 seconds during processing.
11. This spice, one of the world's oldest, has been shown to kill E. coli 0157:H7 in recent studies. (Kansas State U. 1999)
12. Low acid canned foods such as this are most likely sources for botulism.
15. Infectious protein particle thought to be responsible for diseases like scrapie and BSE
18. Mad cow disease
Copyright © 2001, James T. Ehler.