EASY BAKE EGGPLANT LASAGNE
The Good Neighbor Cookbook
by Suzanne Schlosberg and Sara Quessenberry
The eggplant in this scrumptious and substantial meatless main dish is baked rather than fried—you get all the flavor without the guilt. The lasagne makes for wonderful leftovers and freezes well for up to 2 months.
Prep time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
• 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
• 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes with juice
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2½ cups dried bread crumbs
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
• 4 large eggs, beaten
• 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
• 1½ cups (6 ounces) grated mozzarella cheese
• 1½ cups (6 ounces) grated Gruyere cheese
• 1/4 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring often, until softened and light golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes (decrease the heat, as necessary, to prevent scorching). Add the tomatoes, oregano, sugar, crushed red pepper, black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and simmer, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, the remaining 1/2 cup oil, and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Place the flour and eggs in separate bowls. Dip the eggplant slices first into the flour, then into the eggs, and finally into the bread crumb mixture, pressing to help them adhere. Arrange in an even layer on 2 baking sheets and bake until tender and crispy, 12 to 15 minutes.
In a 9 by 13-inch baking pan, spread 1½ cups of the sauce over the bottom. Layer half of the eggplant over the sauce, then add another 1½ cups of sauce. Sprinkle with half of each cheese. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, sauce, and cheeses. Bake until heated through and bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes.
COOK'S TIP: Refrigerate, tightly wrapped, for up to 4 days. To reheat, cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400°F until heated through, about 30 minutes. Freeze, unbaked and tightly wrapped with foil, for up to 2 months. Bake directly from the freezer, covered, for about 1 hour.