Foodreference.com August 31, 2001 Food Safety Crossword
NOTE: PRINT page to work on puzzle. A link to the solution is below.
CLICK HERE to return to Previous Page
7. Controversial sterilizing treatment.
8. Frequent symptom caused by Salmonella enteritidis.
9. A frequent culprit in Salmonella outbreaks.
11. 'Mad cow' initials
13. Infectious protein particle thought to be responsible for diseases like scrapie, BSE
14. Disinfectant, Atomic number 17
15. Small usually single-celled reproductive body produced by certain bacteria and algae and fungi
16. A bacterium that's been the focus of recent illnesses related to fast food and the meat industry. _ ____
17. For a while, New Jersey banned selling them 'rare' or 'med rare'
1. A plant food possibly implicated in a 1996 E. coli outbreak in Japan involving over 8,000 people.
2. The low pH of fruit is unfavorable for bacteria growth, but is favorable for this single cell fungi which can cause spoilage in fruit.
3. Toxin produced by some bacteria that is specific for intestinal cells.
4. Recommended maximum time Hollandaise can be kept unrefrigerated.
5. Household kitchen item that is usually the most bacterial contaminated item in the home.
6. An animal or plant that lives in or on another and from which it obtains nourishment
8. An agent that destroys disease-carrying microorganisms
10. A fungus that infects various cereal plants forming compact black masses of branching filaments that replace many grains of the plant
12. Causes staphylococcal food poisoning _ ______
15. One of the oldest food preservatives
Copyright © 2001, James T. Ehler.