May 23, 2001 Culinary Crossword
NOTE: PRINT page to work on puzzle. A link to the solution is below.
CLICK HERE to return to Previous Page
1. Any of various breads made entirely or partly with rye flour
7. Thin piece of wood or cardboard tipped with combustible chemical; ignites with friction
8. A small thin crisp cake or cookie
10. Watery part of milk produced when raw milk sours and coagulates
11. To plunge hot vegetables into cold water
13. A source of oil; used for forage and soil improvement and as food
15. Soup made from a calf's head or other meat in imitation of green turtle soup
16. Someone who provides food and service (as for a party)
18. Fleshy indehiscent fruit with a single seed: e.g. almond; peach; plum; cherry; elderberry; olive; jujube
19. An item of confectionery with an irregular outline, resembling that of a rock, hence the name
22. There is one in the sky.
23. An African melon
25. A species of edible mushroom widely distributed in woodlands
26. Put into a new order
2. Any of a number of tropical vines of the genus Dioscorea many having edible tuberous roots
3. A hard brittle candy made with butter and brown sugar
5. An open receptacle for holding or displaying or serving articles or food
6. Made of fermented honey and water
8. A hard cow's milk cheese originally made in the falley of the river Ure in North Yorkshire; originally had blue veining, but no longer.
9. A midday meal
10. Annual or biennial grass having erect flower spikes and light brown grains
12. A small cut of meat including part of a rib cut from a young sheep
14. Cucurbita pepo
20. An open vessel with a handle and a spout for pouring
21. Eurasian plant cultivated for its seed and as a forage crop
22. A fleshy fruit (apple or pear or related fruits) having seed chambers and an outer fleshy part
24. Camellia sinensis
Copyright © 2001, James T. Ehler.