CRAB AND WILD MUSHROOM CHOWDER
• 1 oz / 30 g arrowroot
• 1 qt / 950 mL Chicken Stock
• 2 tsp / 10mL butter
• 1 tbsp / 15 mL minced garlic
• 2 1/2 oz / 70 g diced onions
• 1 oz / 30 g diced celery
• 1 oz / 30 g diced leeks
• 12 oz / 340 g diced peeled Idaho potatoes
• 2/3 cup / 160 mL evaporated skim milk
• 1 tsp / 5 mL kosher salt
• 1 tsp / 5 mL crushed black pepper
• 2 tsp /10 mL heavy cream
• 2 tsp/ 10mL dry sherry
• 1 Ib / 450 g sliced wild mushrooms
• 3/4 cup / 180 mL mushroom stock (see Note)
• 10 oz / 300 g lump crabmeat, picked to remove shells
1. Combine the arrowroot with enough stock to form a paste. Set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add the garlic, onions, celery, and leeks and sweat until tender. Add the remaining stock to the vegetables and bring to a simmer. Add the arrowroot mixture to the stock and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add the potatoes and simmer until tender, about 25 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and add the milk, salt, pepper, cream, and sherry.
3. In a large saute pan, sweat the mushrooms in the mushroom stock until tender. Strain the liquid into the soup and reserve the mushrooms. You should have about 7 1/2 oz / 200 g mushrooms.
4. The soup is ready to serve now, or it may be properly cooled and stored.
5. Heat the soup (by batch or by portion) just before serving. For each portion: Spoon 1 oz/30g crabmeat and 3/4 oz / 20 g mushrooms into a heated bowl. Portion the hot soup into the bowl with a 6-oz / 180-mL ladle and serve.
Note: Simmer the mushroom stems in 3/4 cup / 180 mL water to make a mushroom stock.
Portioning information: 1/4 cup / 180mL
Nutrition per serving: 126 calories, 3 g fat, 16 g total carbohydrate, 10 g protein, 438 mg sodium, 23 mg cholesterol