CELERY ROOT AND JICAMA SALAD WITH ORANGES AND ALMONDS
From: Celebrating the Seasons by John Littlewood
The combination of crunchy and chewy textures goes well with the creamy, tangy dressing in this simple salad.
See also: Jicama Article & Jicama Facts
Makes 1 1/2 cups
• Orange dressing (recipe follows)
• 4 cups celery root, peeled and cut into thin slivers
• 2 cups peeled jicama, cut into thin slivers
• 3/4 cup chopped green onion
• 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
• Zest of 1 orange
• 2 oranges, peeled and separated into segments
1. Make Orange dressing.
2. Mix all salad ingredients except orange segments. Toss with dressing. Arrange orange seg-
ments around salad.
• This salad will keep for one day, refrigerated.
• The texture of this salad is best when the celery root and jicama are cut into thin slivers with a Japanese mandolin. If using a box grater, use the largest grater holes and try to get long strips.
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
• 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 3 tablespoons sugar
• 3 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
Whisk ingredients together until smooth.